Mar 17, 2007

Happy Birthday! - Physical

I baked a cake to celebrate grandma's birthday with her and gpa (OK, I missed it by a week but belated is better than never, right?). Having no desire to become any sort of a domestic diva, rare is the occasion when I would conquer such a feat. I figured it would be worth it in this instance since I spend little time with them.

Customarily I would have tried to whip up a 'healthier version' of the store-bought cake mix (if that can even be done) but in complete utter fear of their disappointment due to deviation from the norm, I simply opted for egg whites instead of whole eggs and prepared the rest as directed - clearly against my own standard practice. Why is it that I would not even think of infusing my 'crazyweird' habits and/or views upon my grandparents? I tell myself it is out of pure respect.

The cake passed the test. As I drove home this evening, I found myself in a sort of 'organic' sugar buzzed state (and resenting the fact that I hadnt found some sort of organic alternative). This cake was the epitome of refinement. Really now, a boxed cake mix complete with store-bought frosting? Not to mention grandpa's famous 'green milkshakes' (although not the least bit Irish, the perfect compliment to St. Patrick's day). The amount of granular white stuff that we consumed (sugar that is) is bound to wind up in Biray's Never Mind Our Health blog. Im not suggesting that consumption of cake should be forgone entirely, but our portion sizes could become more congruent to 'moderation' (then again whose fault is that?).

No comments: